The Complete Language of Food: A Definitive and Illustrated History (Complete Illustrated Encyclopedia) (Hardcover)
Other Books in Series
This is book number 10 in the Complete Illustrated Encyclopedia series.
- #3: The Complete Language of Flowers: A Definitive and Illustrated History (Complete Illustrated Encyclopedia) (Paperback): $22.99
- #8: The Complete Language of Herbs: A Definitive and Illustrated History (Complete Illustrated Encyclopedia) (Hardcover): $24.99
- #12: The Complete Language of Trees: A Definitive and Illustrated History (Complete Illustrated Encyclopedia) (Hardcover): $24.99
Awaken both your inner foodie and your inner yogi as you journey into the consciousness of everyday foods, from their origins in myth to modern interpretations today.
Have you ever considered the cultural origins and meanings of your favorite foods? The Complete Language of Foodties ingredients back to mythological and folklore roots for a unique and appetizing exploration of the foods we eat.
Presented alphabetically, each food entry includes:
- A beautiful illustration
- concise summary of the food’s mythology and folklore
- How the food is used in certain cultures and traditions
- Correlations to chakras, elements, and deities
Some of the exciting lore behind certain foods will include:
- Borage was a common motif in medieval needlework, especially in scarf designs where they were intended to be worn by knights as a symbol of courage
- Archaeologists have found evidence of pickled cucumbers that date as far back to 2030 BCE (in northern regions of what is now Iraq)
- Macedoine, a precursor to ice cream, is a type of jelly dessert that was served in snow and thought to be a favorite of Alexander the Great.
- It was known that the ancient Greeks used honey in their skincare!
Elegantly designed and beautifully illustrated, the Complete Illustrated Encyclopedia series offers comprehensive, display-worthy references on a range of intriguing topics, including dream interpretation, techniques for harnessing the power of dreams, flower meanings, and the stories behind signs and symbols.
Also available in the series: Complete Book of Dreams, Complete Language of Flowers, Complete Language of Herbs, Signs & Symbols of the World, and Complete Guide to Astrological Self-Care.
About the Author
Spring, summer, and autumn container gardening on a small apartment’s balcony is all the more appreciated during the short growing season in the Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State where eclectic artist and writer S.Theresa Dietz makes her home. The twenty-plus years of ongoing research into the subject of floriography symbolism and powers were driven onward by her fascination with all things magical and mysterious, along with her deep abiding love of all trees, plants, and flowers. She is the author of The Complete Language of Flowers, The Complete Language of Herbs, The Complete Language of Trees, and The Complete Language of Food.